The possibility of conflict can exist whenever two people in business come together. This workshop focuses on understanding what creates and sustains conflict, learning the basic ways which people deal with conflict, and deciding a plan of action toward resolution. When relevant, the workshop also addresses basic anger and stress management techniques.
Anyone who wants to learn how to deal with, address and resolve conflict among their team members, colleagues or customers.
- Understand what conflict means and what causes it to occur
- Learn the basic elements of the conflict resolution process
- Realise the differing styles of conflict resolution
- Adapt and flex the process to different conflict situations and personalities
- Use essential anger and stress management techniques
Specific Points of Emphasis
- An introduction to conflict resolution
- The strengths and weaknesses of the differing conflict resolution styles, using the Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument
- Competing – being assertive and uncooperative
- Accommodating – being unassertive and cooperative
- Avoiding – being unassertive and uncooperative
- Compromising – being mildly assertive and mildly cooperative
- Collaborating – being assertive and cooperative
- Creating a neutral atmosphere for sounding out the conflict
- Focusing on both individual and shared needs by generating options
- Stress and anger management techniques
This course touches on some of the same territory as the Negotiation Skills workshop, but does not specifically show to manage negotiation. Please check out the Negotiation Skills overview for more detail.
The maximum number of participants is 20, and the minimum number is 6. Depending upon the agenda and content, the workshop can be delivered either as a half- or full-day workshop.
For More Information
Please contact me here if you’d like to get more information about a workshop, including an initial agenda or estimate, or discuss how the content or materials could be adapted to your organisation.